Are you excited for turkey and pumpkin pie?
Worried about the chaos of many family members talking at the same time?
Not excited about missing out on conversation?
Thanksgiving is a time to connect with family, but when you have hearing loss, you may find it hard to connect with loved ones. It’s tough to communicate well when you can’t hear them. This makes conversation difficult and can leave you feeling left out.
Here are some tips to help you enjoy Thanksgiving with hearing loss:
- Wear your hearing aids — If you wear hearing aids, make sure to wear them on Thanksgiving! According to the International Journal of Audiology, up to 25% of people who have hearing aids don’t wear them. Your hearing aids serve the important purpose of amplifying sounds, such as your family’s voices, making them easier to hear. You may sometimes get tired of the amplification, so you can turn them off and take a break if needed. Make sure to replace the hearing aid batteries on the day of, or bring some extras if traveling.
- Pick the right seat — When gathering around the table, choose a seat where you can see everyone’s faces. This can help you read lips and understand exactly who is talking. You can also sit beside the people you are going to talk to the most.
- Have a helper — Ask someone to be your hearing helper. Someone who can tell you if you’re being spoken to or fill you in on any information you may have missed.
- Limit background noise — If you are hosting the event, make sure background sounds or music are kept low. They could drown out people’s voices if too loud. If you are a guest, ask the host beforehand to limit background noise.
- Be honest — Don’t pretend that you can hear when you can’t. You aren’t being a burden by asking people to repeat themselves or asking your hearing helper questions. Your family loves you and wants you to be included. They can’t properly accommodate to your hearing ability if you aren’t being honest.
Get an Audiology Test Near St. Johns, MI
Perhaps the most important thing you can do prior to Thanksgiving is to get an audiology test. This test will gauge your hearing loss and what level of hearing ability you have left. From there, CMMC Hearing Care can determine the treatment option that’s right for you, whether it be hearing aids, hearing coaching, or a hearing aid adjustment.
Prepare for a great Thanksgiving by receiving an audiology test near St. Johns, MI!
Contact CCMC Hearing Care today!